Course: National Procurement: The opportunities and challenges for Irish libraries
Course Code: ANLTC 2017:07
Date: Wednesday 8th November 2017 11:00-15:30 (Registration & coffee from 10:30)
Description: Procurement has formed a key part of the Government’s Public Service Reform agenda and can provide not only savings for the taxpayer but also increased competition, efficiencies within libraries, value for money, openness and transparency. This seminar is designed to allow library staff gain an understanding of the public procurement environment, procurement principles, national guidelines and EU directives. The event will also focus on the importance of librarians working in collaboration with procurement professionals to deliver successful outcomes to tender processes.
The seminar’s objectives include:
- Gaining an understanding and awareness of the public sector procurement environment including national guidelines and EU directives
- Understanding the national procurement model and governance structure
- Exploring the importance of the library/procurement partnership
- Outlining the role and procurement process of the Educational Procurement Service (EPS)
- Reviewing lessons learned from the first Irish national booktender
- Purchasing through the current Framework for the Supply of Library Goods
Principle Speaker: Susan Wright is a procurement professional and was head of Southern Universities Purchasing Consortium for 22 years. During this time she masterminded, in partnership with library professionals, five collaborative book agreements that were awarded in accordance with EU procurement directives. Her most recent book contract covered all universities in England and Wales and was valued at £90million per annum.
This course is aimed at all academic library staff and information professionals who are involved in purchasing resources for library users and need to have an awareness of the public sector procurement environment
Glucksman Library, University of Limerick
The Pavilion, University of Limerick
Susan Jones ‘Collaboration between the Education Procurement Service(EPS) and the Local Government Management Agency(LGMA) to establish a Framework Contract for the supply of Public Library Books and Audio Visual Material (AV) to all thirty public libraries in Ireland.’