Regulatory Affairs

What We Do

We monitor and assess general regulatory developments impacting on CONUL library services and activities, including copyright, licensing, data protection and procurement

We advise and advocate on Irish and EU legislation and regulation as it applies to CONUL member libraries

We provide input on behalf of CONUL into submissions/responses to public consultations on Irish and EU regulatory affairs

We work with government and regulatory agencies on specific issues as directed by CONUL

We conduct research, provide briefings and make recommendations on regulatory matters as directed by CONUL

We improve awareness on key legal frameworks, principles and practices for CONUL and member library staffs through CPD and other channels

Our Activities

We produce documents and papers to provide practical guidance on regulatory themes

We develop and advance advocacy positions in consultation processes

We organise events to promote awareness, including seminars and training

Who We Are

Chair: David Meehan (DCU)   david.meehan@dcu.ie

Deputy Chair: Susan Reilly (UCD)  susan.reilly@ucd.ie

Secretary: Cora Gleeson (UL) cora.gleeson@ul.ie

Communications Officer: Patricia Quigley (TCD) quiglepa@tcd.ie

Virginia Conrick (UCC)    v.conrick@ucc.ie

Aisling Keane (NUIG)    aisling.keane@nuigalway.ie

Della Keating (NLI)    dkeating@nli.ie

Elizabeth Murphy (MU)    elizabeth.murphy@mu.ie

Paul Murphy (RCSI)    pjmurphy@rcsi.ie

Brian Widdis (TU Dublin)    brian.widdis@tudublin.ie

Member Spotlight

Trinity College Dublin Library

The Library of Trinity College Dublin dates back to the establishment of the University in 1592 and is the largest research library in Ireland.

Today, the Library has over 6.5 million volumes with extensive collections of journals, manuscripts, maps and music reflecting 400 years of academic development. The most famous of its manuscripts, the Book of Kells and the Book of Durrow, were presented by Henry Jones, Bishop of Meath and former vice-chancellor of the University, in the 1660s. Other special collections include the Ussher Collection acquired in 1661 and the Fagel Collection of 1802.